Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Memory triggers are fantastic.

I'm sitting in the commons adjacent to the laundry room of my dorm waiting for my clothes to dry, smelling the detergent, and listening to songs that I grew up with. The Lion King's "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" by Elton John just ended and now I'm listening to "Caribbean Blue" by Enya. Both songs conjure up the best feelings.

Lion King always makes me think of my sister. We used to act out the intro to the movie when Simba is presented to the other animals and I remember I was always the zebra. It brings back flashes of my old house...the smell of freshly cut grass, feeling the dark blue carpet underneath my feet...seeing dad mow underneath us as we played on the swing-set. This is tending to be stream of consciousness, but I don't mind.

Enya brings back a very specific memory. I don't know if this actually happened, but this is what I see when I hear "Caribbean Blue". Mom and Dad were having a party of some sort at our old house with their friends, the Fergusons. Somehow after dinner, I ended up underneath our dining room table. I don't remember if anyone was with me, although I wouldn't be surprised if Amber was. I just remember sitting there under the table listening to this song, and feeling very comfortable. No one was paying attention to me, and in that moment, I liked it. I just sat there and watched everyone talk while the other kids played. It was home personified. I feel so relaxed when I listen to this song because it reminds me of home.

I don't know if you readers think this is interesting at all, but I had to share.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

this post made me smile :) i like reading your words